By-laws relating to the transactions ofthe business and affairs of the Northwest Scottish Fiddlers, referred to herein as “NWSF”.
- Purpose and Objectives of NWSF: The purpose and objective of the NWSF is to provide an educational forum for members to learn and share the fiddle music of Scotland as deemed appropriate by the Music Director.This organization is organized exclusively for charitable, educational, and scientific purposed under section 501 (c)( 3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.Upon the dissolution of this organization, assets shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of section 501 (c)( 3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section ofany future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government. for a public purpose.
- Governing Committee
- The affairs of NWSF shall be managed by a Governing Committee which shall be comprised of no less than a President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Music Director.
- The Committee Members shall hold office until the election of new officers at the Annual General Meeting in September. A Committee Member whose term has expired shall be eligible to continue in the same or different capacity for additional years.
- Members may remove any Committee Member before the expiration of a Committee Member’s term provided that 2/3 of the General Membership passes the resolution. Additionally, any member in good standing may be elected to serve as a Committee Member for the remainder of the term.
- Committee Member office termination will occur if they:
- resign membership in the Committee
- have been absent for more than three consecutive meetings, or
- cease to be a member of NWSF
- Quorum and Meetings: A quorum for the transaction of business shall be five (5) Committee Members. The Committee may hold its meetings at any such place as it determines appropriate. Regular meetings of the Committee shall be scheduled, when practicable, just prior to the monthly meetings of the General Membership of NWSF.
- Voting Questions arising at any meeting of the Committee shall be decided by a majority of votes of those present and voting In case of an equality of votes, the Chair of the meeting shall have a second or casting vote to break the tie. The vote shall be taken by a show of hands to indicate assent or dissent A declaration by the Chair of the meeting that a resolution or motion has been carried and the outcome shall be entered into the minutes.
- Power of Committee: No individual Committee member shall have the power to act for or on the behalf of NWSF or otherwise commit or bind NWSF to any course of action, unless such action has been approved by a quorum of the Committee members. All such approvals shall be noted in the minutes.
- Remuneration: A Committee member shall not receive any remuneration for acting as a Committee
- Membership and Dues
- Membership is open to anyone supporting the purposes and objectives of the NWSF.
- Dues: Membership dues are paid on a yearly basis and are for one full year. Membership dues
will be determined by the Committee and will not be prorated.
- Class of Membership
- Individual Member
- Family Membership
- Termination of membership: The membership of any Member of NWSF may be terminated if such Member:
- fails to pay dues
- resigns by notice to NWSF
- Books and Records
- Bookkeeping The Committee shall ensure that all necessary books and records of NWSF required by the by-laws and or by all applicable legislation are regularly and properly kept.
- Fiscal responsibility All checks, bills of exchange or other orders for the payment of money, notes issued in the name of NWSF shall be signed by such Committee Member(s) who are responsible for monetary transactions. The securities of NWSF shall be deposited for safekeeping with one or more bankers or other financial institutions selected by the Committee. Any and all securities deposited in such a manner may be withdra\vn only upon resolution of a quorum of the Committee.
- Fiscal Year: The fiscal year of NWSF shall run from September to June, ending June 30th of each year.
- Dissolution of NWSF should the board and membership vote, by a two-thirds majority. To dissolve the NWSF, the remaining assets will be used exclusively for exempt purposes. The board will select a deserving organization or exempt body that meets this requirement and the funds will be so
- Amendments: The By-Laws of NWSF may be repealed, amended or added to by a vote of the majority of the Governing Committee members present at a Meeting, or by at least a two-thirds (2/3) majority ofthe votes cast at a meeting of General Members.
Treasurer, Rachel Knight
Music Director, Calum MacKinnon